COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dear Alaska

My blog manager forwarded your posting to me and I wanted to write back and give you my thoughts on the question you posed, “What do I do about my son?”

First, it’s nice to understand the connection you have to this place.  I didn’t personally know your son, but I know of him.  In fact, a couple of the college guys were close to him.  I also knew the story about him sitting in the building one day when the intercom announced “Pack up.  You’re free.”  The story made its way around the compound because everyone knows their release date.  “How did he not know?”  Guys would ask.  But, one guy in the college program who knew Sketch simply said, “That’s just him being him.”
As I’ve written in this blog numerous times over the years, I hate hearing about guys getting out only to turn around within days, weeks, months, and come right back in.  It is the height of narcissism, self-loathing and “coal bucket” stupidity to think after a prison bid you can play fast and loose with the law.  You can’t.  A released convict has a target on his back. It’s easy, way too easy in fact, for the police to pick you up and put you right back in.   You’d think guys would know that having seen chucklehead after chucklehead walk out one day only to be seen pushing a cart back up the boulevard the next.  But guys always think they’ll be the one to get away with it.  They couldn’t be more self-centered or wrong.

Your son is that guy.   I wish I could tell you he isn’t, but that would be a lie.  He hasn’t grown up; he hasn’t accepted responsibility for himself and his actions; he just doesn’t give a damn.  Sorry to be so harsh, but guys like Sketch make it tougher on guys still inside who’ve turned their lives around and just need a chance to get out and get on with life.  Sketch, like so many others, plays up to the worst stereotype imaginable about a felon:  “Once a prisoner, always a prisoner.”
And I know from reading your posting you already know that.  But, I also know you’re asking me, as a parent, what do you do.  My answer may surprise you.  See, I don’t want you to give up on your son.  He may need to spend another bid in prison, but don’t give up on him.  Everyone, Alaska, is redeemable.  I accept that as a core principle of faith that a God who can create everything in the universe can most certainly open anyone’s heart.

Redemption doesn’t come without a price.  You can’t avoid the consequences of your actions, but you can get a fresh start.  I’ve struggled with that the last few years but have come to accept that there is a reason for all of this and a season – first of despair, then of hope.
So, I urge you to continue to hold out hope for your son.  Prison breaks you.  Don’t let him fool you.  It’s dehumanizing the lack of privacy, respect and dignity you encounter in here.  He knows it; he just won’t admit it to you.  I have yet to meet any man in here, from the petty thief to the murderer who won’t honestly say there haven’t been nights so lonely and desperate where your eyes well up with tears and you just say “I don’t think I can do this.”

But, holding out hope doesn’t mean you have to continue to support his reckless behavior.  One of my favorite Bible stores is the one about the prodigal son.  He tells his father he doesn’t need him; he takes his inheritance and goes out on his own leading a life of depravation and sin.  The interesting thing is, the father didn’t chase after him, didn’t search for him.  The father loved his son and let him go.  The son had to figure it out for himself.   And when he did, the father ran to him and accepted him back.
Alaska, no one is completely beyond repair.  If and when Sketch decides he’s tired of this place and the loss and loneliness that accompanies it, he’ll get it together.  Have faith.

Thanks for your posting.


No comments:

Post a Comment