COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Funding Cuts, Falsehood, & the "Stan the Man" Effect

I’ve had a lot on my mind the past week or so.  Sometimes, your worst enemy in here is your mind.  You find yourself thinking way too much about things you can’t control.  I heard a preacher recently say that you can’t control what others do, you can only control your response.  There’s a great deal of truth in those words.

Shortly before our college graduation, DOC informed the school that grant money earmarked for inmate higher education would no longer be available due to “budget constraints”.  Did DOC Director Clarke tell our graduates that when he showed up at the ceremony to tout his – and the Governor’s – support for education and credit the graduate’s successes as part and parcel of the administration’s re-entry program?  Of course not.  It was up to us to break the news to guys who already lack trust in the system.
So, I lie.  I tell them people really do care.  “You matter.  You getting an education, going out there and raising your kids, being a good father, husband and taxpayer, that’s what everyone wants.”  I used to believe that.  Now, I think “they” like sending guys to prison.  After all, 13,000 state jobs rely on having full to capacity prisons.  And companies that sign exorbitant contracts with the states to provide “prison services” make great profits for their shareholders and they pay huge contributions to politicians’ campaign funds.  It’s a vicious cycle of money, ignorance, and crime and I’m beginning to realize it’s more powerful than mercy, common sense and real justice.

Falsehood.  I heard a former NFL coach make the following statement as the news about Lance Armstrong, or Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, or some other athlete broke.  He uttered the old adage, “The truth will set you free.”  “We all mess up; some worse than others; but the lie, the lie does you in.”  He’s right, so very right.
I know in my own situation I lived a lie rather than face the fears – the truths really I knew deep down about myself and my relationships.  And, the lies caught up to me.  So I came clean, landed in a place I abhor, but now sleep soundly at night.

The funny thing is, I see guys all around me pretending to be something they aren’t  Every small drug dealer wants me to think they’re Tony Montana (a/k/a “Scarface”) or Pablo Escobar; every two-bit thief wants me to believe they stole the Hope Diamond. They can’t admit they can’t read, can’t admit they had nothing.  They lie, and they keep on lying, and they stay imprisoned forever. 
I’m not a schadenfreude guy anymore.  I don’t relish another’s short comings.  I felt for Lance Armstrong.  And, I see and understand a lot more about the folks “outside”.  They really aren’t that different from the guys in here.  We all keep secrets, things that would embarrass us if they got out.  The truth is, they have nothing to do with who we really are.

It struck me in an ironic way, all these celebrities and athletes with their mea culpas, and the lies the government peddles about prisons, and crime and punishment, and then I hear Stan “the Man” Musial died. Stan is a Baseball Hall of Famer.  Twenty-two seasons with the Cardinals.  One of the greatest players ever and yet, because he played in St. Louis instead of New York, he never got the notoriety he deserved.
But that was OK with Stan.  He loved his wife of seventy-one years; he loved his family, St. Louis, and baseball.  By all accounts, he was one of the most decent men you could ever meet.

He passed away at age ninety-two, a year after his wife.  A few years ago, a baseball writer asked him to tell his secret for baseball longevity and success.  He said he jogged one mile every day.  He occasionally smoked cigars so he didn’t have to inhale.  And with a twinkle in his eye added, “And it didn’t hurt to hit above 300 all those years.”
I love that.  Two out of three times he came up, he never reached base.  But, he stayed the same – consistent, decent, hardworking.  There’d be less need for prisons, less public embarrassments, if more of us emulated Stan Musial.  And, I think Mr. Musial would tell you not to be like him.  Be yourself.  Be honest, and kind, and try even when you make an out.

I started this blog bemoaning Virginia’s short-sighted approach to educating the incarcerated.  I was ticked off and discouraged.  But, thinking about Stan Musial’s advice, I know these guys will get another time at bat.  And, they’re due for a hit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment