COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Birthday

            A little story – I had just finished a five-week trial, my first big case as a lawyer. I was defending four prominent local citizens who served as directors in a small East Tennessee bank. The bank failed – part of Tennessee’s 1982 bank run that led a few lawyers to suicide, ruined a number of politician’s careers, and led young lawyers like me into battle after battle in court.

            Here I was, less than four years removed from law school and I was trying a multimillion-dollar shareholder suit. Don’t get me wrong; I wasn’t in over my head. I was a good, aggressive trial lawyer. I wouldn’t quit and I didn’t like to lose (two traits that helped me survive my early days in prison). I was in court eight to ten hours each day; then, to the office for three to four hours (plus weekends). Finally, home to an eight-month pregnant wife.

            The jury stayed out a day and a half. Finally, a little after lunch, they came in with a verdict: for the defense on all counts. My clients were vindicated. I drove home and walked into a completely cleaned house and huge meal (a new recipe she was trying – beef stroganoff). I didn’t know what “nesting” meant until later, that surge of energy right before birth.

            I settled in to watch the NIT final. It was a little after eleven when she told me her water broke. “It’s too early.” I said (we were three weeks from his due date). We went to the hospital got her in a room, and less than three hours later I saw him born. He was beautiful. And I held him moments after he took his first breath. I looked at him and knew there was a God. And I don’t know why, but I leaned in close to him and sang my favorite Bob Dylan song, “Forever Young.” It was for me, every wish I had for my precious son.

            There are a thousand memories like that floating in my heart and head right now. There’s the time I was the only dad in the pool during “Mother-tot” swim and he and I swam circles around the others. There was 1993 and my beloved New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup, their only one since the 1940s. It was nearly 1:00 am and I went up to his room and picked him up and carried him down to our living room. As the players skated around the ice and Natalie Merchant’s song, “These Are Days” played, I held him and told him this is why we stay loyal to our teams, to our families – it’s for days like these.

            For so long we were inseparable. He thought I was perfect – the perfect lawyer, father, husband. Maybe that was the problem. Or maybe, I led him to believe the world was black and white. Either way, my arrest changed us. It destroyed a family and for that I am solely responsible. Someone asked me a question about my “ex” the other day and in a moment of unimaginable honesty I told her I live with more heartache over my ex and my sons than anyone knows. There is nothing that prison could do to me that cuts me quite like that.

            My older son turns 26 tomorrow. He is a remarkable young man – An honors graduate of a prestigious liberal arts college and a soon-to-be law school grad. He married his college sweetheart who is as beautiful as she is brilliant. He has his whole life ahead of him – a great job already lined up; a young wife who loves him. And I miss him terribly.

            Birthdays, anniversaries, so many memories. Those are my real prison sentence. But, like Paul in his letter to the Romans put it, “But we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.”

            Maybe Paul Simon explained it better. I found myself singing this song as I ran this morning:

            “Oh little darling of mine
            I just can’t believe it’s so
            And though it seems strange to say
            I never been laid so low
            In such a mysterious way
            And the course of a lifetime runs
            Over and over again
            But I would not give you false hope
            On this strange and mournful day
            When the mother and child reunion
            Is only a motion away.

            Happy Birthday son. I love you. Dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment