COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Twenty Years Ago


1994. Two movies were released that year that matter to me: “Forrest Gump” and “Shawshank Redemption.” I hear Forrest’s words each day when I run. “Momma said sometimes we just have to outrun our problems.” And on those bad days when I wonder if anything exists beyond this, I can hear Andy Dufresne tell Red and the other inmates, “Hope is a good thing, maybe the only thing. And, hope never dies.”

            Hope never dies. I remember seeing both movies at the theater. And, I laughed at the slow-witted Forrest and his angry antagonist/friend Lt. Dan and I thought I already knew all about love and heartache, failure and redemption and a movie couldn’t explain it to me. Then there was August 2008, and arrest, prison, divorce, and loss. And I ran and yelled at God and cursed my life and found my soul. And I realized Forrest was the smartest protagonist ever written and Lt. Dan, well he proved Romans 8:28 is true.

            And Andy and “hope” – hope is a funny thing. At our best we think we understand it. At our worst we dig deep to see if it’s really there. And, if we find it, we hold on to it tightly because it’s the only thing that keeps us going.

            Twenty years is a long time. Sometimes it feels just like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment