COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Still Runnin Against the Wind

I can’t seem to tire of the movie “Forrest Gump”. Perhaps it’s because it seems to be shown on TV every weekend. Perhaps the backdrop of American society through the decades of the 60s, 70s and 80s speaks to my memories of growing up. Or maybe it’s just an entertaining movie. Whatever the reason, I keep flipping the channel back to good ol’ Forrest whenever I notice it playing.



Last night was no different. I was watching the NFL playoff game and occasionally checking out the news when I came across Forrest. He had just met Jenny and his legs were kept straight by heavy metal braces. I watched for what seemed to be the thousandth time as bullies began to chase little Forrest, bent on hurting him. Jenny yells “Run Forrest. Run!” he takes off stiff legged, straining against the braces, then suddenly in a burst of energy his knees bend, the braces break into dozens of pieces and he begins to run. He runs with speed and abandonment. He runs. “Once I started to run, I just kept on running.” In almost every scene in the movie, Forrest always comes back to running.


Forrest always loved Jenny. From the moment he met her, he knew they were like “peas and carrots”. But Jenny kept going her own way. Dealing with her pain, her disappointment, she’d come in and out of Forrest’s life. Forrest still believed in Jenny. Even as she left him over and over again.


There is an especially poignant scene where Jenny returns to Forrest. On a rainy Alabama night they make love. Jenny leaves again. Forrest does what comes natural. He began to run. Over three years he ran. “Mama said you always have to outrun your memories ‘til you can stop.”


In the background, Bob Seger is singing “Runnin Against the Wind”. It’s a song I know well. I hear the song in my mind:


“Years keep going past
found myself alone . . .
farther from my home”


Seger laments his struggles in his life, how he’d been let down by friends, taken wrong turns, finds himself alone, a long way from his home.


“still runnin against the wind,
I’m older now and still runnin
against the wind.”


I find myself putting my life experiences into that movie, that song. I’m not sure if I’m Forrest or Jenny. Both ran. Both ran to outrun their memories and their pain. At the end, they were together. Their home was with each other.


I run almost every day. As I run my mind replays the days and nights with my ex. We too, were like “peas and carrots”. Like Seger’s song, there were times when I “guess I lost my way”. But, I always found myself home. I don’t have that anymore. Like Forrest I’m running alone, trying to outdistance the memories of my life with the only woman I’ve ever loved. No matter how many steps I take, how many laps I run, how fast I sprint down the backstretch, I can’t outrun my memories and my broken dreams.


I know there will come a day when my run stops. They’ll be a day when I don’t have to keep striding down the track to stay a few steps ahead of my memories of her, of our life together.


So I keep running. I’m free when I run and life is as it should be. The fences here no longer exist. The painful memories fade. The wind is at my back.

1 comment:

  1. I have read each of your postings and I must say most of the time I agree with you. In one instance I do not.

    Have you tried understanding the pain and suffering you caused your family? You were incarcerated right away. Your wife and sons were left to answer questions, to suffer the embarrassment of your deed. Is it any wonder that they retreated within the confines of their home and solitude? Do you really think you are the only one who suffered the death of all your dreams? The loss of the life you believed existed? Remember you knew you were living a lie...they didn't. All of a sudden they had to come to grips with what they may have considered a life of lies. What could they believe? What was real? Did you really love them? If you did, how could you put them in this situation? Surely you must have known that this was going to cause them great pain and yet you didn't love them enough to protect them from this pain? How are they to make sense of a love like that? You really need to get off the cross...Christ's sacrifice was enough! Take responsibility for your actions and stop the pity party about how you were abandoned by your wife and family. She wasn't the first to break her vows. Christ was in that marriage as well, don't you think that if He was displeased He would tell her? Move on already. Allow your family to heal and build a new life based on trust.

    ReplyDelete