COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Break

Dear Blog Readers:
It’s summer, that period of time between Memorial Day and Labor Day when folks feel the natural tug to slow down and recharge their batteries.  Friends came out to see me last weekend and I lived vicariously through their travels:  one already returned from Florida with wife and children in tow, the other just weeks from heading to his summer beach house.  Summer is a great season.
Life is different in here.  You can do your bid just sleeping away the days, only coming out for meals and the twice monthly walk to commissary.  Or, you can head outside everyday; you run or workout regardless of temperature or precipitation or your own outlook.

I love the summer.  The days are longer, the sky clear, the temperature warm. Summer reminds me of beach trips and bike rides, swimming and runs in the sand.  As I said, summer isn’t the same in here.
This will be my last blog until Labor Day.  There are a number of important issues I need to address this summer which require more attention than I’ve initially given them.  In July, I’m able to petition the Governor to modify the terms of my sentence.  The Virginia Constitution gives the Governor absolute power to modify the terms of any sentence.  Each year, hundreds of inmates petition the Governor to modify their sentences; very few are granted.  I’m not sure what the reaction will be to my petition.  I only know that I can honestly tell the Governor that I’ve done everything possible since my arrest and conviction to atone for my bad deeds.

As I’ve written previously, I have an eBook in the works.  It’s a collection of short stories and essays I’ve written over the last few years.  The working title is “40”.  It’s the title of a story I wrote while in receiving in the heat and humidity of a Virginia August.  My four months in receiving taught me more about the ills of humanity and the possibilities of redemption than anything I’ve ever experienced.  It was horrible, and disgusting and painful.  And, I consider it, in hindsight, a blessing.
“40” is based on a real young man I met.  He was going through heroin withdrawal while locked up in the Henrico County Jail.  Watching that young man suffer as his body, physically craving the drug, broke down before my eyes is an image I will always remember.

But it’s the story of hope.  It was during that same time frame, as I’d talk to that young addict and then return to my cell and battle the self loathing I felt, the intense internal call to give up, that I read on one particular sad, lonely night Isaiah 40.  I found verse 27 and froze.
 “Why do you say and assert your way is hidden from the Lord, and the justice due you escapes the notice of your God?”

It was addressing the people of Israel who had squandered their chosen status as “God’s people” and were in the midst of a loss beyond comprehension.  Exiled and enslaved in a foreign land, their life, their home destroyed, they wondered “Where is God?”  And in those few brief, beautiful verses Isaiah tells them:  God sees you; God knows what you are going through; and, God will deliver you.  “And those who wait on the Lord will soar on wings like eagles.  They will run and not get tired.  They will walk and not get weary.”
I cheered my young drug-addled friend on, telling him he could survive withdrawal and he could turn his life around.  And I told myself the same thing every night as I recited those verses over and over.

That’s “40”.  That’s part of the book.  More importantly, it’s part of my life.  I’ll be working on that over the next two months.  When new blogs return I hope to do more interactive things, direct readers to groups pushing important issues like prison reform and restorative justice.
So, it’s off to draft my “Dear Governor McDonnell” letter.  I look forward to the new and improved Bars-N-Stripes blog after summer break.  Now, go enjoy this weather!

 If you would like to contact Larry directly during the summer you can do so at:

Lawrence H. Bidwell # 1402909
Bldg. 4A, Bed 81
Lunenburg Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 1424
Victoria, VA  23974-0650


There are some restrictions on sending mail to the prison and everything is read before Larry receives it.  Envelopes must be no larger than # 10 and no heavier than 1 oz (i.e. one postage stamp).  No stickers or other object may be glued or taped to the envelope.  They will only accept an envelope with a return address label, mailing label and stamp.  If you have items that exceed the 1 oz weight limit, you must split them up into several envelopes (each weighing no more than 1 oz) and you can identify them (as 1 of 3, etc.).


3 comments:

  1. Larry,

    Good luck with your letter, knowing always that God's will will be done and luck has nothing to do with this!

    I continue to pray for you and look forward to your new and improved blog in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will Larry have an update??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gods will was to punish Lawrence. He stole from one employer and was lucky not to go to prison and was only disbarred. He learned nothing - he stole more. He went to prison where he belongs. He screwed his employer and then went to person where he was screwed - again - and again - and again. He deserves it all.

    ReplyDelete