COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Missing Something

I’m up early and I can’t sleep.  When I say early, I mean its 3:30 am.  Over and over, I hear the discussion I had yesterday afternoon with two young guys in here.  Over and over, I think “how can they miss the point?”  Over and over, I wonder is it the system that made them this way or are they like this and the system just makes it worse?  Either way, I’m worried.
Empathy is defined as “understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, the feelings, thoughts and experiences of another.”  Simply put, it means getting it when someone is hurting.  I’ve written before about the millions Governor McDonnell spent investing in the “Compass” computer questionnaire which, in 120 questions, allegedly measures an inmate’s likelihood to recommit.  I say allegedly because, as with any psychological profiling tool, you can – or should – see what the proper answer is.
Our grant for IT certification uses results from the Compass test to screen candidates.  You must be “college eligible” (in other words, possess a high school diploma or GED) and you must score high on the compass recidivism risk indicator scale.  On a ten point scale you must have at least a “5”.  Most of our candidates score 8, 9, or 10.

The compass test measures self-awareness of things like personal responsibility, violent tendencies and anger issues, and empathy.  Candidates for our grant are pre-screened using their compass results.  Likewise, every inmate in the system during their annual review is tested.  Results are tracked year upon year.
I’ve taken the test two consecutive years and registered “1” both times.  In bold lettering with green color the screen indicates “low risk of re-offense” in ten measured categories.  The two young guys I spoke to both took the Compass last week as part of their annual reviews.  One is a recent grad of our IT program set to go home in October.  The other is a current student set for release next February.  Both came back with scores of “9”, highlighted in bold red.  Both, for perhaps the first time in their prison lives, were worried.  “Is this accurate?   Does it really matter?”

It does, I tell them, and here’s why. 
Typical question:  “You see a person crying.  Your initial reaction is:

(1)  Much concern

(2)  Some concern

(3)  No feeling one way or the other

(4)  Some scorn/ridicule

(5)  Much scorn/ridicule
Empathy tells you when you see a person crying, your initial reaction should be at least some concern.  Both these guys chose “4”.  So I explained to them how empathy, a “social conscience” means feeling emotionally connected to my fellow man.  Here are their responses:
“What if it’s a chick on her period?”
“What if it’s a guy acting like a bitch?”
“Why isn’t “3” the right answer?  Why should I give a shit about some guy crying?”

And I couldn’t get them to understand you care, you empathize, you feel, because we are social and we have a conscience.  They looked at me with blank stares.
Prison does not make people lack compassion, kindness, or empathy for others.  But it does allow negative, anti-social behavior to fester.  Caring, compassion, and kindness are signs of weakness in here.  They are exploited and ridiculed.  The system, rather than teaching and fostering empathy, allows just the opposite to fester and grow like a virus.  It is this highly toxic Petri dish of ignorance, and violence, and despair that takes lives in and spits them back out.  And nothing, I fear that DOC is doing, is combating the problem.

What’s the answer?  I don’t know.  I just know prison doesn’t make a person empathetic.  And without empathy our social compact cannot survive.  Ignorance and violence will win out over compassion, mercy and justice.  Something is missing.  This system is not the answer.  And I think the reason I couldn’t sleep is not because of these guys.  It’s because I realized the folks out there don’t care enough to demand more from their representatives.  No person with a social conscience can think the corrections system is just.  Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see much empathy to overcome this sick system.


No comments:

Post a Comment