COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

1200

I hit a milestone the other morning. I completed twelve hundred pages in my diary. As I’ve written before, shortly after my arrest I began keeping a daily journal of my experiences in here. Each page has approximately three hundred words. So many times during the past thirty-two months I’ve been asked by guys “what are you writing down?” A little bit of everything.



I recently completed Nelson Mandela’s newest bestseller based on his diary and personal correspondence written during his twenty-seven years of imprisonment. I was surprised by a good deal of the book. Perhaps it was my preconceived notion of what thoughts would cross a great man like Mandela’s mind. I just assumed everything would be deep and profound. But it wasn’t.


Mandela wrote about powerful topics such as maintaining your dignity in the face of a system bent on breaking you. He also wrote about his commissary order, and his vegetable garden, his love for his wife and children, his health. He wrote about everything.


In one letter to his young daughter, he wrote the following:


“Spiritual weapons can be dynamic and often have an impact difficult to appreciate except in the light of actual experience in given situations…To put it bluntly, it is only my flesh and blood that are shut up behind these tight walls…”


As I think about all the pages I’ve written, the mundane and profound, the boring and insightful? I understand what Mandela was saying. They can put a man behind bars, but they can’t take his freedom if he still has his mind, his experiences, his faith.


I write a good deal about the day to day happenings in here that are life in prison. A lot of those happenings are things I never knew occurred. I write about men and experiences that were far removed from my apparently sheltered life. I write about my family and friends. My ex and my kids make my entries almost daily. I’ve been told numerous times to “move on” and “close that chapter”. Ironically, shortly after his release from prison Mandela and his wife of thirty years separated. A few years later, they divorced. Mandela knew of his wife’s indiscretions while he was locked up. He also knew he was no saint. The divorce shattered him. As the notes in the book reflect, he could never speak publicly about her. Yet, even after his release, after the divorce, he wrote about her.


There is hope in writing. There is despair. Many mornings and nights I’ve written letters directly to God telling Him I’m not quite sure I can do this. Then, two days later I’m writing about receiving my commissary. The day after that I’ll be running and hurry in to record some self realization.


Twelve hundred pages. Following receipt of the divorce papers the court appointed a lawyer to serve as my “guardian ad litem” – an ironic twist of incarceration: no suit can proceed against an inmate without the court being assured the inmate understands the nature of the action.


I was called to a lawyer visitation room at the Henrico Jail and was met by a stunning, mid-thirties blond who introduced herself as my court appointed lawyer. We spent three hours together and during that time she asked about my life, my circumstances, my marriage. I told her the story, my story. Near the end, she looked at me and said “you need to write that down, for yourself, for your sons, for others.” She was the first person I told I kept a diary.


Everything about this experience is documented. I guess I do it because I don’t want to forget even a day of what this is like. I thought I knew so much before my arrest. I realized these past few years just how little I really knew. It may not matter to anyone else, but these pages represent the struggles and successes, the joys and heartaches I’ve been through. And, Mandela was right. No matter what happens to me, these pages represent my freedom.

1 comment:

  1. Human beings are powerful. Powerful enough to give away our freedom. Choose to do things that put ourself at risk of losing our freedom.

    Like taking things from others because we want them. We want those things bad enough to terrify others, but not bad enough to rightfully earn the things we want.

    When you give your power away, sometimes it takes a long time to get it back, like trust.

    Those who misuse others, terrify others, take things from others, give away their freedom to have others take care of them.

    Those victims, friends of the victims, families of the victims, the ones who work and pay taxes, are the ones who take care of prisoners and do so as they see fit. I would think those taxes would be prioritized and put to use where the money would be best invested. Making ethical decisions along the way.

    The other day I was teaching a high school class. The price of an education and what it took to get out on your own became the topic of conversation. It was very different to discuss a couple of the options available when the students thought it should be free.

    This is what I suggested:

    To get a free education, place to live, clothes, and food, would be to live with a person who loved you so much they would do all this for you (of course given they had the financial means to do so), OR they could commit strong armed robbery (or some other crime), go to prison AND get help with job placement when your time was up.

    My son was offered both. He had a choice.

    It boils down to ethics and if you want to be free or not. Rights are what you have when you are free......Freedom takes work......You can choose to be free or live in a cage. It is a choice.

    The prison systems' free college education makes the education I paid for by working my way through, less than the piece of paper it is written. The prison assists in finding a job...I didn't get help......and the government rewards employers who give jobs to freely educated ex prisoners. The employer doesn't get a tax break if they hire me.

    Justice?

    What funds are allocated to help pay for victims losses, doctors, therapy, shelter, food, clothing and education or funerals. The victim's funds most of the time.

    And I am not a victim or a criminal...why do I have to pay? Where are the funds for my clothes, food, shelter, education, doctors, therapy, funerals? From the paycheck I get after I pay for the prisoners. Are you going to give or help me find a better paying job so I can keep my quality of life and yours. Not likely. I will choose to do so because I like my quality of life and my freedom. I will choose to keep my freedom so I can vote and maintain my citizenship.


    We have the power to choose. Sometimes the choice is between two evils, but we still have the power to choose.

    I am glad you find freedom in writing, so do I.

    Thanks for writing.

    Alaska says hello.

    ReplyDelete