COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thinking about Freedom

Every week my blog manager forwards reader comments to me. I read – and many times reread over and over – what the blog readers are thinking or reacting to what I write. I enjoy the feedback even when it occasionally and painfully hits close to home.



This week an “Anonymous” reader commented on my recent writings about freedom. And, those comments got me thinking about not just freedom, but our interconnectedness.


Ironically, and my ex would fall over to see me admit what I’m about to write, I’ve discovered through this experience, that we are all in this together. I use to ridicule then Senator Hillary Clinton for her book It Takes a Village to Raise a Child. I always thought my success, whether in school or relationships or work, was solely and directly due to my efforts. I bemoaned paying the way for others less ambitious than I. Oh, I did community work. It’s what we “successful people” did. Ultimately, I realized going through this that my logic was completely skewed. God has a way, His way of showing us how off kilter we are. Sometimes the way He shows us is unpleasant. But, if we pay attention, we learn exactly what He expects from His children.


Anonymous, I take issue with your posting for a number of reasons. Here goes. Freedom is derived from God. In one of the most powerful scenes in David McCullough’s incredible book 1776 he retells the story of a Presbyterian minister in New York City. Reverend Knox, on the eve of the British attack on Washington’s troops, uttered these powerful words from the pulpit: “God ordains that man live free”. So simple, yet so profound.


Freedom is God’s creation. It isn’t granted us by a benevolent government. It is from God and of God. That isn’t anarchy. God requires that we live under His rules and there are only two that really matter: “Love the Lord with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself”. When you steal – like I did – you violate God’s law. And society has an absolute right to correct that ungodly behavior and help restore me to a position of “law abiding”. But, society does not have the right to break God’s law to punish me. That, Anonymous, is ungodly.


It is ironic that at the entrance to the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz, Poland the following sign appeared: “Work Makes You Free.” I would caution Anonymous to be careful when you conclude you’re on one side and the outcasts are on the “other” side, like the Jews in 1930’s Germany, or the Christians in China, or the black school children in Prince Edward County, Virginia in the late 50’s when the public schools were closed rather than integrate them.


As Jesus pointed out to the Pharisees when he disapproved of divorce and protected the adulterous woman, God’s law is significantly different from man’s law.


Some people in prison clearly are sociopaths. They are a danger to others. Their horrendous deeds call for separation. That does not give society the right to treat them ungodly. “Be patient; be kind; be forgiving.”


And that leads me back to my new thoughts on our interconnection and my disagreement with Anonymous. Prior to Anonymous telling me about the effort put forth to earn his/her degree and how prison education cheapened the value of that education, Anonymous stated “the other day I was teaching high school…” so Anonymous teaches school – public, I assume, which is supported by taxpayers, many of whom don’t have children in school but have to pay nonetheless. And Anonymous works a school year (what, possibly 200 days per year?) and is eligible for tenure – guaranteed employment – and has little responsibility when his/her students do poorly. See, Anonymous, I used to think like you and public school teachers could always rile me up. And Anonymous, you may work in a good school. A lot of the guys I’ve been in contact with went to lousy schools, with lousy teachers, in lousy communities.


Your education: no one pays the full fare. Even when you pay the tuition, that tuition has been subsidized by alumni giving, Federal aid and state taxpayers (if you go to a state school). This myth that we “make it on our own” is just that, a myth.


While you were in college some of the dregs in here were filling potholes in your town and picking up your trash. A good number of these “criminals” were overseas fighting while you were “exploring” your major. One thing I didn’t know until I came in here was the large number of vets locked up, guys who fought in Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, both Iraq Wars and Afghanistan.


Your reference to a “free education” in prison is off base. First, the number one factor in keeping a felon from recommitting is – a college degree. You want to pay $25,000 to keep a guy locked up or $3,000 to enroll him in college?


Instead, let’s follow your lead, Anonymous, and gut prison programs. Why stop there. Handicapped kids? Screw ’em, why should I pay. It’s the parent’s job to take care of them. Public schools? Don’t need ‘em. Most of the teachers I knew weren’t qualified anyways. Let everyone home school.


I could go on and on but I won’t. I think you get my point. We all get something from someone else’s hard work, money or grace. We all need to give a helping hand from time to time to a brother or sister in need, even when that brother or sister did something horrendous.


“No man is an island unto himself”. That’s what justice is about. That’s what mercy is about. That’s what freedom is about. That’s what God is talking about.





2 comments:

  1. I said "Freedom takes work" not work makes you free. I prefer you keep context. I speak specifically to the criminal and the criminal mind. It is easier to steal, kill and destroy. It takes work to do the right thing (even if that means going without being loved by others to doing the right thing).

    Render unto Caesar what is his, pay your taxes, do your time.

    I would rather see everyone pay for their education (even if it is a portion) instead of seeing criminals get theirs free.

    I, like you, mentioned the short falling of the public schools. That is why the money needs to be directed there where we may have a chance for "form" before we wind up with more need for reform. Raise the wage offering for teachers and raise the bar to become a teacher. Do away with tenure and unions. Give teachers the incentive to be fantastic, intelligent, and inspiring. Give them money to do so and if they are not, fire them.

    Oh yes, your assumptions about my career were wrong. I am not a teacher in the sense you mention of a school year, tenure, wage, etc.

    For all those kids that come from broken homes, with mothers as prostitutes, fathers as alcoholics, family who "got religion" step parents who molested them, spouses who left them,....that life was incentive (bad but still incentive). Incentive enough to choose to make a life without stealing, killing or destroying and didn't wind up in prison, worked for a living, lived within their means paid for college (a portion, I'll give you that). YOU ARE MY HERO!

    Unlike the criminals who may have the same things in common with my hero, the criminal did steal, did kill and did destroy. You are asking for more money to give criminals better this and better that or else they will wind up behind bars again. Obviously it is not bad enough behind bars (incentive) to make a personal commitment to themselves that upon release the choices they will make will be to never return to that which they hate.

    The criminal situation you are in, the criminal situation you speak for, the criminal situation I speak to....is for the adults who chose and who choose today. You are promoting criminals repercussion for being a criminal is an education.(The military offer to fight for our country and get a reward called a paid education. Ok, I will give you partially paid if you prefer). Does this seam like justice?

    When you correct a child....the repercussion is supposed to make an impact. This teaches the child understand that what they did was not acceptable, or dangerous to themselves, or dangerous to others. You leave an impression so they understand that the repercussion is not worth having again and you hope they get it before they wind up in prison.

    Criminals have been sent to their room, put in a time out, grounded from the TV (oops maybe not), can't drive the car, can't go out with friends on the weekends, need to do extra chores to pay restitution, work for the person/persons they victimized, need to stand face to face with the person they victimized, look them in the eye and apologize (ask around and see how many have done this, I am curious), need to spend some time alone and think about what they have done.

    These things come before they are allowed to rejoin the "family" by helping to do the dishes, working with everyone else in the lawn, going out on the weekends with friends, working in the workforce, attending a public gathering, voting, driving a car and getting back to being a part of something. Don’t want to be treated like a child, don’t act like one that needs corrected.

    Do you want to be a part of something? Ask yourself "what" you want to be a part. This will determine wether you will come out of Lunenburg and stay out.

    Can you be a part of it without sacrificing yourself to others AND without sacrificing others to yourself for that which you want? This will determine the quality of your life.

    Think about it before you ramble quotes.

    I find freedom in writing too.
    Alaska says hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is deep and i Agree. I really do Agree to all that you have said. I pray that God touches others and Convict their hearts and help them to understand where you are coming from my brother in Spirit and in truth :) Amen ! Praise the Lord !

    ReplyDelete