COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Honcho: A Tale about Water

It’s pouring and they’ve canceled rec for the day.  Tropical Storm Andrea is off the coast and bands of rain and gusts of winds are making an already dismal prison day worse.  My friend DC convinced me early this morning to head outside and run in the torrential rain.  I was game.  See, we’ve been locked down since 6:00 am Monday – our twice a year shakedown ritual – and didn’t see the fresh air until Thursday after 6:00 pm count, save for the walk down the boulevard for our meals and our hour and a half in the gym waiting on a strip search and officers digging through your stuff. 

No rec.  So much for getting soaked to the bone and taking my mind far away from here.  Lockdown is difficult to describe.  In receiving, we were confined to our cells for four and a half days straight.  Meals and mail were brought to us.  We never moved until our cell was shook down.  Handcuffed and patted down, we stood outside our cell door while two officers tore open everything my cellie and I had, then left all those possessions in a pile on our bunks.  And that, truthfully, is nothing.  I do time with guys from higher levels who endured six, nine, twelve months of lockdown. 
Here, it’s just sit around and wait for your building to be called.   No one ever gets caught with anything.  Now, with the budget tightening, DOC can’t bring that many extra officers in.  And, shakedowns matter a whole lot more at higher levels where stabbings and rapes are part of daily life.  Here, it’s form over substance.  By Thursday afternoon the officers were exhausted, the buildings stunk, and guys were plain tired of the loss of even the little bit of freedom you have in here. 

I put on classical music – Mozart and Franz Liszt chamber music seems to work the best – and I think about the waste that is almost every action by DOC and almost every life inside.  One thing about lockdown, if you can’t get along with someone day to day, it’s magnified by the 24/7 time spent together for those wasted days.  And so it is for me dealing with Honcho.
Who’s Honcho?  He’s the guy in the bunk above me and he is a caricature of everything you think of when you imagine a multi-bid offender with six kids, a wife and girlfriend, and all before reaching age 33.  Honcho isn’t in the college program.  He’s one of those guys who come here straight from the regional jail to do their eighteen to twenty-four month sentence.  We have a few open bunks in here and we end up with the “extras”. 

These guys are all the same, and that – I think – is what pisses me off the most.  Honcho, like thousands of others, is a drug dealer and user:  small time – weed, crack, and powdered coke; give it away to your “homeys”; let your baby’s mamma get state aid while you drink Hennessy; wear your pants low, call everyone “”bro”, and sing nonsensical misogynistic rap lyrics by Lil Wayne or some other knucklehead.
Everything this dude does pisses me off.  He’s dirty, sloppy, loud and ignorant.  And worse, you can see it in his face; he carries on because he has such a low opinion of himself.  It’s so obvious with so many of these twenty or thirty something black guys.  They tell you how “bad” they are, but you see right through it.  They are cowards, and worse – they are failures.

Three times this guy’s been to Lunenburg.  Each time for two years, or so.  He sleeps all day, plays dominoes all night, and burns up the phone begging one of his women to send money so he can eat ($200 to $300 each month on commissary).
I say what I think.  “I’m just doin’ my bid, Bro”, he’ll tell me.  “I’m not your bro crack head.  Get your head out of your ass and do something constructive with your life!”  I reply and guys look shocked that anyone would dare speak to Honcho or another home dog like that.

Here’s the weird thing.   I get away with that because I intimidate these guys.  No less than my buddy DC has told me, “these guys are afraid of you, the way you carry yourself, your self respect”.  So I tell them what I see.  And, what I see in Honcho is a guy too scared, too self loathing to say to himself “Damn it, I can do better”.  And, it pisses me off.
So many people in the “real world” see prison and prisoners as caricatures.  They think they know all about lawbreakers and prison life and they’re so dead set sure that everything that happens inside here to these men and women behind bars is divine or karmic justice.  They couldn’t be further from the truth. 

The late, brilliant American write David Foster Wallace gave a commencement address back in 2005 at one of America’s premier liberal arts colleges.  And, it wasn’t a typical graduation speech about reaching your dreams and self-aggrandizing plaudits for having a liberal arts diploma.  Instead, it was harsh and direct. He spoke about thinking, real thinking, the kind that says “I’m not the center of the universe” and the kind that doesn’t get numbed by worshiping money and status. 
Wallace began with a story about two young fish swimming along when an older fish comes the other way, nods at them and says “morning boys; how’s the water?”  The two young fish look at each other and say “what the hell is water?” http://youtu.be/SFt7EzpsZQo

The point of the parable:  that too often we go through life numb to the world and the people around.
Real thinking is built on empathy and being aware of what is, as he said “so real and essential”.  Truth, he said, is all about life before death.  A life is more than the sum total of your failures.  And even guys like Honcho can grow into someone if they only learn to think, think beyond the numbing rat race of life and their own shortcomings. 

There is as much humanity inside these walls as there is outside.  And Mozart sounds just as sweet.  Honcho is failing, but he’s not a failure.
There are horrible people in prison who have done terrible things and, if let go, they would do perhaps even worse.  But, there are also regular people trying to fit in, trying the wrong way to make it. People like Honcho who succumb to the numbness around them and become so desperate to be “somebody” they’ll do the wrong thing.  I know, I was one of those guys.  And they deserve our encouragement and occasionally a kick in the ass.  As I sat here during lockdown I realized I didn’t know Honcho’s life, hadn’t walked in his shoes.  All I could think was, “this is water”, and somewhere I hoped David Foster Wallace was smiling and saying “he gets it, he’s thinking”.

No comments:

Post a Comment