COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mother's Day Inside

This past weekend was Mother’s day and, like tens of millions of other Americans, I mailed cards to my own mom and my ex. Celebrating Mother’s Day from inside prison is a bizarre experience. It has caused me to reflect on my failures as a son and the heartache my mother experiences with my current circumstances. Being a mom – a good mom – is a tough job. My own life has taught me it may also be the one job where unconditional love is a prerequisite.

            I read an interesting devotion the other morning about Mary, using her to describe the seasons in our lives. Imagine her joy, he wrote, at the birth of her son. How awed and proud must she have felt when the Magi came and knelt beside her newborn or when an elderly Simeon lifted her baby boy up in the temple.  Was their trepidation in her heart as she watched her adult son carve out his own path, traveling the countryside and proclaiming news of Israel’s God? Was she afraid as she watched him take on the powers that be? Imagine her pain at the foot of the cross as she watched her son die.
            Mother’s lives are forged in pain. Bury a child and you bury a part of the mother. It is a difficult, painful role a woman undertakes when she becomes a mother. So many fail. So many of their children’s lives don’t turn out as hoped or planned.

            So guys in prison prepare for Mother’s Day just like you would outside. There are cards to send out and calls to make. And, there are the visits. This past weekend the visitation room was full with moms, wives, and “baby mommas” coming to see their men in prison. I learned early in this experience that you could tell a great deal about any man locked up simply by his relationship with his mom. A guy whose mother gave up on him was as close to lost as there was.
            See, moms don’t give up on their kids. Moms ride with you through the disappointments, and pain of lost relationship, or jobs, or even prison. My mother makes no apologies for letting me know she hates this place. She undergoes humiliating pat downs and searches just to come spend a few hours with me each month. I’ve been here at this facility almost four years and not a month has gone by that my mother hasn’t reminded my dad, “We need to get up to see Larry.”

            There aren’t words I can find to explain what that means. Following my arrest, it was my dad who refused to talk to me. For nine months we didn’t exchange even a hello. Fathers, you understand, have expectations for their sons. And, the consequences of breaking those expectations are swift and sure. My mom never stopped writing, never stopped talking to me, never stopped crying and praying for me. It was my mom who one day just said “I’ve had it. Bud, talk to your son.” That simple act began the healing between my father and me.
            Mothers. Being blessed with a good mom doesn’t mean you won’t screw up. Being cursed with a mother who doesn’t love you isn’t a ticket to failure, but the relationship, that mother and child relationship, matters so much, especially when your life turns and you find yourself in here.

            So guys prepared and preened to get ready for a visit with their moms. A few guys whose moms had already passed quietly went about their days.
            Life isn’t easy. It doesn’t usually go as planned. There is heartache, and difficulty, and disappointment. For those like me who are fortunate, there is the constant presence of a mother who believes there is a future for their child.

            Then, there is Dom. A mid-thirties Black man, Dom has spent his entire adult life in and out of prison. Three years for robbery here, four years for assault there. He presents himself as a hardened man, no emotion, no feeling. And yet, he told me how his mother – seventeen when she had him, drug user, alcoholic – left him at two months old with his grandmother.
            “She’d show up every year or two when she thought she could get state aid as a single mother with children.” Dom was in and out of family court from the time he was two. His mother was in and out of his life. It had, it still has, an effect on him.

             Last week he was sending out cards. He had one for his mother. She’d started writing two years ago and came to his college graduation last January. “She’s trying,” he said, “maybe trying to make up for the past. And, she’ll always be my mother.”
            I got that. Like my mom with my failures, I will always be her son. Maybe that’s the key to the mystery that is mothers and children that even prison can’t break. It is a relationship forged in hope in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment