COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Code

Inmates talk endlessly about “the code.” The conversation always begins with “Back when the penitentiary and doing time meant something, guys lived by the code.”  It’s funny, but the guys that say that weren’t doing bids back in those penitentiary days. The guys who were – those men down twenty, thirty, even forty years – know that “the code” was just a fancy word for mind your own business, ignore what you see, and don’t snitch.

            It was a brutal world where every man had a blade hidden for protection, where extortion and rape were daily occurrences; and where the officers had little control over the lives of the inmates. Ironically, that’s still the way prison is. By the time guys get here from the higher levels, where they walked through the mine fields and either were victim or victimizer, they can see home and aren’t willing to tack on more time to their sentence. Give a twenty year old thirty years and he can’t comprehend it. What’s he do? He fights, he steals, he does whatever he has to do to make a name for himself and protect himself.
            But, ten years in and now he’s thirty and his girlfriend has stopped writing. Friends have moved on. He has little left outside and he realizes all the time he’s done so far only accounts for a third of what he must do. The realization sets in that he may never get out. Most go to “the code.” They see nothing; they say nothing; they do nothing. And, like the stranded boys alone on the island in “Lord of the Flies,” tribalism and Darwinian observation like the strong preying on the weak, become the inmate’s daily existence. It’s all about survival. Nothing more, nothing less.

            I’ve been thinking about “the code” a good bit during Lent. Every morning during this Lenten season I take a three by five index card and jot down a meaningful verse or two from my morning reading. Throughout the day, I’ll refer back to the card to focus on what I consider the important thought of the day. Every verse I jot down is contrary to “the code.” How we live in here, how we conduct our lives in here is contrary to what God expects. But, here’s the irony – so is the way I lived “BP” (before prison). I keep coming back to the Proverb: the wisdom of man is foolishness to God.
            What does all this have to do with “the code?” I find myself going against the grain. I’m being pulled two directions most times. My eyes tell me the vast majority of men I’m locked up with are full of malice. They feel victimized; they lack empathy. Ignorance flourishes in here. Each day I try and fight the urge to berate someone for being disrespectful, dishonest, or just not caring enough about themselves or their loved ones to get right. Simply put, almost every day I find myself thinking, “I hate this place and the men in here.”

            But then, there is the other side, the side that tells me to empathize and be compassionate toward even the worst. Call it an attempt to atone for my own misjudgments, but I try and see the good in all. So, I butt in when the code says “butt out.” I tell guys what I think even when I’m warned over and over to keep my opinions to myself. Under “the code,” truth is a casualty.
            Why am I writing this? I don’t really know. I’ve had a few weeks of confrontations that have only emboldened me. One of cards I carry has the words from Isaiah 40:10-13 on it. It is one of the most moving pieces of scripture I know. It says:

“Do not fear, for I am with you.

Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you, surely I will help you;

Surely I will uphold you …

Those who war with you will be as nothing and non-existent.

For I am your God, Who upholds your right hand,

Who says to you, Do not fear, I will help you.”

            Here’s what I take that to mean. You do the right thing and you know God will have your back. There is no “code” above His. Too often men in here do the expedient thing to get by. Too often out there, the same thing is done. It’s a pretty radical idea, but it’s one I’m trying. Too many men fail in here. Too many fail out there. There has to be a better way

No comments:

Post a Comment