COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Good...Bye...


“In the clearing stands a boxer, 
And a fighter by his trade 
And he carries the reminders 
Of ev'rye glove that laid him down 

And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame,
"I am leaving, I am leaving." 

But the fighter still remains”

Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" reminds me of two dear friends who left this past week. Chuck and DC both have gone home to begin new lives, real lives, lives outside this cesspool with family and friends who love them and respect them and understand they are not the total of their "update sheets."

DC--like an older brother to me; 43 years--imagine that number, 43 years, locked up. He was ruthless and cruel and ignorant and now...now he is a man with dreams and ambitions and knowledge. He never shirked responsibility for his wrongs. That was one of things I loved about DC. He always told me he got what he deserved. I don't think so. I think he got more...so very much more than he deserved and he never complained. More importantly, he never gave up hope.

And Chuck? Chuck was just a decent guy; a military retiree who on one night made a terrible mistake. And it cost him. It cost him a marriage, and time with his three sons; and the birth of a grandchild; and his job; and his freedom; and his self-respect. And Chuck wore his guilt and his pain much like I do. But the beautiful thing about Chuck was, he never let it sour him. He cared about people; he helped people; and he found the inner strength through his faith to make a difference in a lot of younger men's lives in here.

Chuck and DC were my "go to" guys. On those days--more than I care to admit--that I felt the whole world crashing down around me, it was those two who would listen and then tell me to fight on, see the good, and never give up.

Prison is not a place for relationships and yet I love these two men like a brother loves his brothers. They were real in a place where almost everything else was phony. And I miss them both dearly, but know they are doing great.

Don't misunderstand me--I hate this place; I hate what it stands for; I hate the waste of money, and lives; and I hate the lack of accountability and the lack of honesty from those in charge. Prisons are failures--nothing, I repeat nothing, good comes from doing time. But these two men, good men, men who would stand with you no matter what, they survived and thrived and overcame this place in spite of the system's failures.

The boxer--my friend DC was a boxer and I know from his stories he was hit and knocked down and left on the mat more than a few times; but he always got up. "The fighter still remains."

If there is a silver lining to all this, it is in the fact that even in an environment like this you can find humanity. And, even when it looks like someone is beyond repair--even when we think there is no hope a person will ever be "right" we never can tell what is in that person's heart.

So Chuck is watching his beloved Red Sox in Tampa, and DC is going to see his Skins, and I'm still here a much better man for having friends like them.

“I'm on your side. When times get rough 
And friends just can't be found, 

Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.”


Old Paul and Art knew what they were singing about. Live wonderful lives my two dear friends.


Postscript: I've been thinking a great deal this summer about the meaning of incarceration, faith and the failure this system has to actually rehabilitate the vast majority. See it every day; you will see it on the pages here for the next few months. Governor McAuliffe is looking at parole--he needs to know the truth about this place. And if he reads the upcoming blogs, he will. 

3 comments:

  1. You've been reflecting on the evil system for years. I hope you've taken the time to reflect on how you deserve what you got. I were a con artist your whole life. I still can't get over the fact that you were a thief got busted and received no punishment.....then you stole $2 million over the course of years and somehow you think you're a victim. You don't need rehab - you need punishment - and you're receiving it.

    You can think you're a champion of justice for the penal system if you want, but you're just another felon unhappy that you got caught. As I have said before, most people assume prison cells are small, you aren't safe there and you probably get raped. We know this - don't do something to get put there. If you want to help, don't belly ache about the system, write a blog on the intimate details of being raped and the nights you lay there crying - that would do more good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure who you are, but you certainly have a chip on your shoulder. At least he puts it out there in his own name and doesn't tear someone down under ANONYMOUS!! Your must have lead a "perfect life".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to post my name - my statements are factual. I would not need to post my name if I stated the Sun is bright either. Bidwell is a lifelong thief. He got off scott free once - and then did the same thing again. A lifelong POS. Now he's in prison where he belongs, except he doesn't like it. Tough. Perhaps this time he'll actually learn a lesson...

      Delete