COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Run Andre Run

I witnessed one of the funniest sideshows to life in this dump the other day.  Wednesday morning, I went out for an 8:00 am run.  GED classes were cancelled all week – placement testing – so each morning I’d go to breakfast at 6:30 (our dorm call), then at 8:00 I’d head out for a series of sprints, pull-ups, dips and a two mile run.  Anyway, most days on the yard there is a slight, yet noticeable aroma of cannabis.  Its faint, but you know it’s out there.
I’d noticed all week that from first door break on, there were huge groups of guys (15 to 20) milling around the picnic tables which are spread out mid rec yard separating the softball field from the volleyball pit and weight pile.  It was a poorly kept secret that high stakes poker was going on at the tables.  Twenty dollar buy-in, quarter chips, tobacco, stamps and pills getting you in the game.  By my run Wednesday morning there were three tables active, forty guys huddled around.
I started my slow jog (I’d been on the DL for a week having suffered a hip flexor ten days earlier, my running was coming back but I wanted to take it easy) and headed to the dip bars to get a set in.  I suddenly found myself in the middle of a Doobie Brothers concert.  I jogged through a grey smoky fog that gave me a sudden urge for Oreos and pretzel sticks.  Somewhere in the distance I heard the Steve Miller Band singing “The Joker”.  This wasn’t a little weed.  This was major smoking going on by more than one or two guys.

I got my entire workout in by 9:00, ending as I always do with yoga.  Time- mysteriously – flew by that morning.  I headed back in the building and began doing what I do every day:  write.  Around 10:15, the floor officer’s radio squawked to life (she was sitting in the dayroom watching Jerry Springer or some other socially relevant show) “close east year; close east yard.  Lock everyone on ball courts.”  The officer yawned and got to “battle stations” (actually, she slowly moved to the door saying “Shit, better be a stabbin.  I’m missing my show.” – I can’t make better stuff up!).  A few of us headed to the front door and saw warden dumb with assistant warden dumber and about eight officers heading through a side gate and onto the yard.  The inmates at the tables were scrambling.  Guys were running by the port-o-johns, other guys were jogging toward the building fences.  It was chaos, and it was hilarious.  Officers – overweight, huffing and puffing, were chasing younger guys all over the yard.  As dumb as the officers looked, the guys looked dumber.  There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  I told the guys standing at the door “do they know they’re on a prison rec yard?”
And then we saw it:  Andre running from the lead investigator.  I don’t know if I can adequately describe the scene.  Andre is a coal black, buck toothed, 45 year old teacher’s aide with me in the GED program.  He’s back on his third cocaine distribution conviction.  He’s personable, funny, goofy and always a target of the investigators because; well because he always has his hands in something.  He’s a con’s con – he knows and participates in every hustle.  Usually, he’s too slick to get hemmed up.  Not this time.

I watch as a chase scene unfolds in slow motion.  Andre, arms and legs being heaved to the heavens is running zigzag around the yard.  He’s chewing up papers and substances with every step.  On his heels, the rolli polli investigator.  As slow as Andre’s running, the investigator is slower.  Then, Andre runs out of gas.  But, so does the investigator.  Andre starts jumping side to side; the investigator has his hands on his hips, sucking in every bit of air possible.  And then it happens.  Andre gives up.  Handcuffs are slapped on him and he’s led by the Keystone Cops to the hole.
The po-lees (that’s inmate lingo for the officers) raided the yard twice more Wednesday.  Four guys ended up locked up.  But, by Thursday, the card games and weed were back on the yard.  And Andre?  His job is gone.  Running is a major charge.  Plus he had a dirty urine.  He’ll lose his good time and get moved to a level 4 probably. 

It was hilarious to watch, but there’s the sobering realization that some of these guys just don’t get it.  I’m no choir boy, but I choose to live a certain way in here.  Andre, lives and acts just like he did on the street.  If you can’t stay clear of drugs, prostitution, theft, extortion in a closed environment like prison, how are you going to make it out there?  And that is the biggest hurdle facing my fellow inmates and me.  We’re our own worst enemy.  We make it easy for politicians to lie about us and people to shun us.  We’ve got to stop running and standup for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment