COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Summer of George

I’m a huge fan of the TV sitcom “Seinfeld”.  One of my regular TV habits is watching episodes of the show which somehow magically appear for hours each afternoon and evening - Monday through Sunday.  There’s a core group of “Seinfeld” aficionados in the building and we banter back and forth with lines from the show (recently, a new Hispanic, gay inmate arrived on our side of the compound whose speech and mannerisms immediately led to him being id’d as the “ribbon guy” – an obscure Seinfeld character).
About a month ago I received my regular weekly letter from my “blog manager”.  In the letter, she apologized for falling behind on blog postings.  At the time of her letter she had 32 postings to type.  32 – who would ever think I’d write that much?  But, I have a great deal of time on my hands and words just seem to pour out.
I wrote her back and assured her I would never get angry over blog postings.  I also offered to speak to her husband about hiring her an assistant.  Instead, I told her I’d take a month or so off from new blogs.  Just like the Seinfeld character, George Costanza, when losing his job, I enjoyed “the Summer of George”.  I sat in my boxer shorts, ate a block of cheese, and watched the world go by (proverbially, of course).

During the past six weeks I found peace, discovered a good deal about myself and others, reconnected with lost friends (some going back to my high school days), and realized that storms come in everyone’s lives.  But, God is closest to us at our weakest moments, in our darkest days.  I met the Director of Virginia DOC – albeit briefly – and am more convinced than ever that even in “tough on crime” Virginia, real prison reform is close at hand.  And, I collected notecards full of stories about the men who do their time here and quotes by both the famous and not so famous.
“The Summer of George” recharged my battery and gave me renewed optimism for the future.  Over the next few weeks I’ll be putting down on paper what I’ve observed, felt and learned this summer.  In my mind, it has been the most startling few months of my life.  I have thought and wrestled and ultimately gained peace with many issues and I’m convinced it wouldn’t have happened had I not been in this place at this time in my life.  Like Joseph or Paul finding joy in a prison cell, I can honestly say this summer has taught me that God is indeed good; His steadfast love endures forever.

The write Charles Bukowski said two profound things. 
“It’s alright sometimes to pee in the sink.”

           and
“If you want to know who your real friends are, pull a jail sentence.”

The first quote is pretty straight forward.  Sometimes you have to buck conventional wisdom and do what you think regardless of social convention.  I lived that.  I’ve been criticized and castigated by well-meaning people:  friends and family – for admitting to everything and giving everything up to my ex.    Could I have fought my charges, embarrassed my employer, tied my ex up in property battles?  Yes.  Would people have been so supportive of me if the situation was reversed?  Probably not.  I did what I thought best and would do it again, even knowing the results.  I’d rather have the same sentence and be able to face myself in the mirror, rather be divorced and know what I know about my almost thirty year marriage, than any other result.  I peed in the sink.  And, it was worth it.
As for the second Bukowski quote, no truer words may have ever been written.  For so long I bemoaned the loss of a spouse and supposed friends who disappeared when the cell door closed.  But I’ve realized over the course of these past three years how truly blessed I am.  I have family who wrap me in love and concern that is unimaginable.  And I have friends, real friends, that write and visit and in the quiet of their homes pray for me.  They are few in number, but their care for me is humbling beyond words.

So the “Summer of George” was good, very good.  And I have a lot to write about.  It’s time to get back to work.  If you’re reading this, I leave you with a final request.  As the writer of the Book of Hebrews stated,
“Remember the prisoners as if chained with them” (13:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment