COMMENTS POLICY

Bars-N-Stripes is not responsible for any comments made by contributors in the Comments pages. However Bars-N-Stripes will exercise its right to moderate and edit comments which are deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site.

Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.
Comments including profanity will be deleted.
Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted.
The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gang Life

I’ve learned a good deal about the inner workings of street gangs and how they operate inside prison. While at DOC Receiving I was housed for over two months with a 24 year socio-path serving 76 years for a double homicide. He was the second highest ranked “crip” on the compound. Two cells down was the leader of the “bloods”. I did legal work for both groups and got to see how they operated. It soon became apparent to me gangs operated in relative freedom inside prisons. For all DOC’s talk about not tolerating gang behavior, they in fact flourish.



I’ve become close friends with the leader of the bloods. A “Tre’06” is one of the highest ranked gang leaders incarcerated in Virginia. He’s also one of the college students I tutor. He’s an extremely bright, articulate guy. He tends to come around a good deal on those days when I’m in the building available for tutoring. We talk about my situation, our kids (he also has two sons), and his “chief executive” dilemmas.


A few weeks ago “L” came to me after my meeting with the investigators.


“You want the snitch dealt with? No questions asked and he’ll get a beat down.”


I had to explain to him No, I didn’t need retribution handed out.


“Why not? Snitch deserves it.” Not in my world, I explained to him. Retaliation only breeds more anger and more trouble.


This week brought more interesting conversations. In the first, I learned a brash, loud young Asian guy had disrespected one of L’s men by calling him out on the boulevard (there are the same number of Asians as lawyers here). L’s solution? They broke into the guy’s locker and took his CDs. He then had to buy them back from the disrespected gang member.


In a more troubling incident, one of the gang members was caught in a romantic moment with a homosexual inmate. Gang rules specifically prohibit homosexual activity.


“I have no choice. I can’t be weak. Rules are rules. He’s getting beat and he’s out.”


I couldn’t get him to accept just letting the guy out of the gang. And, his orders are carried out. The other afternoon while sitting at lunch the offender was jumped. After a rain of fists, officers rushed in and broke up the attack. The victim and both attackers were taken to the hole. The victim will be transferred to a new compound for his own safety. But, the gangs are everywhere. “L” wants to get him and it only takes a call to the street. You find out what prison he’s at and send word to the bloods in there.


“L” wants out. He’s 27, bright, and the father of two small boys. He wants to rebuild his relationship with his ex-wife (they divorced six months before he came to prison because his wife found out he was having an affair; she still writes him weekly). There’s a way he can retire once he gets out. He’s put his time in. He hits the street and they wish him well. But, in here he can’t step down. He steps aside and there’s a battle. Different blood sects wanting their “06” in charge. So he stays in. He ok’s the scams, approves the beatings, and takes his cut from the hustles.


Having met a good number of L’s gang members, I’ve realized they are by and large guys who are looking for acceptance. Prison, contrary to most people’s understanding, is full of very weak overly-sensitive guys who act tough to hide their insecurities. That’s one reason guys are so intimidated by me. I’ve been told by numerous “thugs” that something I said hurt them. Who would have guessed that I’d be the alpha male?


In many respects, that may be why L and I get along. He is a lot more like me than the other guys he deals with. He just does his thing through the gang and I do mine through writing and working at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment